Blogs > Nascar: Beyond the Track

Find out what's really going on in NASCAR. Look here to find out why your driver really lost his ride, or the real reason those two drivers can't stand each other. Learn about the hidden motives and reasons for the things that happen in NASCAR, from the drivers to the team owners.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hornish: Michigan is my home track; Dale Earnhardt now owns a car dealership

BROOKLYN, Mich. -- When you think of drivers who have MIS as a home track, Brad Keselowski comes to mind.

But his teammate Sam Hornish Jr. – from nearby Defiance, Ohio -- also claims the track.

“Michigan is my home track and I have some great memories from races there I went to as a kid with my parents,” Hornish said. “Some of my best days of my childhood were spent there. It’s a track I have definitely attended more races as a fan than as a driver. Growing up just down the road in Defiance (about 70 miles away), MIS is a special place and always will be.”

Hornish is coming off a 2nd-place run Saturday in Montreal in the Nationwide race, a race he thought he could have win if not for a bit of bad luck late in the race, and now will start in the rear of the field at MIS since he did not qualify the car.

Regan Smith positive about MIS

Regan Smith finished 13th at MIS last August, but after a solid test here on July 30 he is confident Sunday’s result will be better.

“As we know so many things can happen in a race, but I would be awfully disappointed if we didn’t better that 13th place finish.”

National Guard back with Jr.

“I was real happy to have The Guard sign. I expected them to be a part of the program. We’ve had a real positive relationship, and they’ve been excited about what we’ve been able to do. … I think it’s good for our team and good for our sport. We’re excited they are ready to be onboard for the next season.”

Jr. the dealership worker

So what would Dale Earnhardt Jr. have done if he hadn’t become a NASCAR driver?

Well, he says he would have worked in a car dealership.

“That was going to be my profession if I hadn’t been a racecar driver. I was going to work in a dealership as a mechanic or something. That was what I did to pay my power bill for four years, so that was what it was all about for me at one point.”

The issue came up, because now he owns a dealership.

“It was pretty weird standing in the service department talking to all my employees when I used to work in one myself. I never imagined that day would come.”

Become a fan of the Facebook page NASCARBeyond

Follow Matt Myftiu on Twitter @MattMyftiu

2 Comments:

Blogger John Leach said...

Nice call on Biffle in the OP blog-bytes today. You been huddling up with Kosmo by any chance?

August 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM 
Blogger Matt Myftiu said...

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, as they say.

August 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home