Roush bombshell: Matt Kenseth leaving team at end of season, headed to a Joe Gibbs Toyota; Stenhouse to No. 17 ride
Well, the unthinkable has happened.
Matt Kenseth is leaving Roush Fenway Racing, his home for his entire Cup career. (since 1999)
Jenna Fryer of The Associated Press is reporting that Kenseth is headed to Joe Gibbs Racing next year, and Ricky Stenhouse will drive RFR's 17 car next season.
Kenseth, meanwhile, will either drive the No. 20 car or a fourth Gibbs car if Joey Logano stays, Fryer reports.
My initial reactions.
1. What exactly happened at Roush to make Matt want to leave -- or to make Jack want him gone if that is what happened? They are basically family. I'm very curious about this backstory. I though Kenseth would retire in the No. 17 car.
2. Is it even possible that a Cup champ like Kenseth can't get sponsors for the full season, but a kid like Stenhouse can? Something doesn't add up on the money end to me.
3. What happens at Gibbs now? Does Joey Logano stay or go? The drama meter/silly season is starting early this season.
4. Matt Kenseth teammates with Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin? I can't believe it.
5. Matt Kenseth driving a Toyota? Again, I can't believe it.
6. Good for Stenhouse; the kid has talent and can win Cup races. I am convinced of this
7. Boy was I wrong, re: Kenseth staying. Hey, it happens to the best of us. :)
Lots more to come on this, but all I can say is I'm stunned. Especially considering that Matt has been at or near the top of the points this year all season. Rarely do drivers walk away from that situation.
Stay tuned for more information.