Blogs > Nascar: Beyond the Track

Find out what's really going on in NASCAR. Look here to find out why your driver really lost his ride, or the real reason those two drivers can't stand each other. Learn about the hidden motives and reasons for the things that happen in NASCAR, from the drivers to the team owners.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Jimmie Johnson's Brickyard stats put him in the company of legends

Jimmie Johnson is officially one of the best drivers ever at the Brickyard, with his fourth win in a Cup race there. He has won four races there (and amazingly, Chevy has now won 10 straight, a feat that has to be a record in NASCAR as far as streaks by a car make at one track).

Jimmie has won four time at Indy -- joining legends from various racing disciplines -- NASCAR's Jeff Gordon, Formula 1's Michael Schumacher, and Indycar's Rick Mears and Al Unser Sr. Not a bad crowd to be associated with.

He was pretty pumped after the race, as you can imagine considering what he accomplished.

“Wow, man that victory lap to go around the track is something special. A big thank you to all the fans out there cheering it lets it really soak in. To come here and win is a huge honor, then to have four wins I’m at a loss for words. I can tell you this I’m so proud of my team. I’m so proud of everybody at Hendrick Motorsports, Lowe’s, KOBALT Tools and Chevrolet. Chad Knaus gave me one heck of a race car today and pit road was awesome too. It was a total team effort and we put it on them today that was nice.”

He said it's crazy to think he is in the record books with guys he looked up to in the past -- such as Rick Mears and Jeff Gordon.

“It’s wild and (Jeff) Gordon as well. I looked up to him and it’s really wild for me to get my start driving a Cup car for him. To tie both of those guys and what they’ve accomplished again I just hoped to come here and race. I had no idea this would turn out. I can remember back to watch the (Indianapolis) 500 with my grandfather and my dad sitting on the couch. My grandfather telling me stories about Indy and that he came here and was at the race track. I’m glad to have my own memories here for my family and also I must say I couldn’t do it without the support of my wife and daughter. It’s a total team effort on all fronts.”

Become a fan of the Facebook page NASCARBeyond

Follow Matt Myftiu on Twitter @MattMyftiu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home