Blogs > Nascar: Beyond the Track

Find out what's really going on in NASCAR. Look here to find out why your driver really lost his ride, or the real reason those two drivers can't stand each other. Learn about the hidden motives and reasons for the things that happen in NASCAR, from the drivers to the team owners.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Kasey Kahne's breastfeeding rant is this NASCAR offseason's official WTF moment


Kasey Kahne and breastfeeding.

Those are two words I never thought I would say in the same sentence.

But thanks to the glorious forum of public expression called Twitter. I can now do that.

Kahne caught all kinds of hell Wednesday for tweeting that he was basically disgusted by the fact he saw a woman breastfeeding in the supermarket, using the hashtag #nasty in the process.
"Just walking though supermarket. See a mom breast feeding little kid. Took second look because obviously I was seeing things. I wasn't!" he wrote.
And when one of his followers disagreed with him, he apparently called her a "dumb bitch"
Couple thoughts I have on this.
-- 1. Good to see Kahne actually has some sort of a personality. He's been pretty much a drone since coming into this sport -- boring with a capital B. This is the first opinion I've heard him express any real opinion on anything.
-- 2. Dude, seriously, get over it. Babies need milk. Would you rather the baby scream through the entire shopping trip? Let the lady feed her kid. It's really not that big a deal. Only in America do we care about stupid stuff like this. Way too prudish for no reason.
-- 3. Kahne felt he had to apologize to his fans, and did on Facebook. he wrote: "I understand that my comments regarding breastfeeding posted on Twitter were offensive to some people. For that, I apologize. It was in no way my intention to offend any mother who chooses to breastfeed her child, or, for that matter, anyone who supports breastfeeding children. I want to make that clear. In all honestly, I was surprised by what I saw in a grocery store."
"My comments were not directed at the mother's right to breastfeed. They were just a reaction to the location of that choice, and the fashion in which it was executed on that occasion. I respect the mother's right to feed her child whenever and wherever she pleases."

That sounds like a forced apology if you ask me. Did Rick Hendrick's PR people write that? Hell, the way I see it, even though his views are archaic and ridiculous in my mind, he has the right to express them. Don't apologize if you actually believe what you said. I don't see the point.

Well that's enough about breasts. To be honest, it's not a topic I ever thought I'd mention in this blog, barring a ranking of NASCAR wives or something tawdry like that (which I don't see happening.)

Can't wait until racing starts, so we can talk about who's being a boob on the track, not the literal kind.

Become a fan of the Facebook page NASCARBeyond


Follow me on Twitter:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fully agree with Kasey on this, do your feeding in private, it takes a lot of gall to do this especially in a store.

December 29, 2011 at 9:05 AM 
Blogger Matt Myftiu said...

I don't see the harm in breastfeeding in a store. It's just feeding her kid. I've never been offended by it. Don't see why people are.

December 29, 2011 at 9:13 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a women and agree 100% with Kasey!! Going to the bathroom is natural, but its done in private, why not breastfeeding and god forbid they use a bottle!!!!!!!
It amazes me where these "natural" women decide its o.k. to expose their private areas for the world to see. God forbid they use a breast pump and bottle feed the child in public...the crazies I know have no problem with their 3 year old walking up and having a drink..something I think is a little off in their thinking..
Go Kasey!!!!

December 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is news? What's the big deal?

December 29, 2011 at 12:59 PM 
Blogger Andy D said...

I also think Kasey's opinion on this matter is ridiculous and immature but he has the right to it and I don't disrespect him for that.

I do have a problem with his phony apology, which appears to be written by someone other than himself. (Appearing to be) Stepping all over yourself in order to backtrack from unpopular opinion is deceitful and I am insulted that anyone thinks I'm supposed to aceept this.

December 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too agree with Kasey. I am a mom of five, grandmother of 12 and great grand of 2. All the babies where breastfed and none of the mothers felt the need to let it all hang out in public. If your timing is off and baby is hungry when you are shopping, there are many discreet ways to feed junior. Kasey's only mistake was tweeting about it so that the au natural group had something to go nuts about.

December 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt anyone who makes a public apology truly means it. It's only done to make everyone else happy. I agree you shouldn't give a fake apology, though. And the public shouldn't want one. I bet most people complaining have probably said something equally bad or worse in their life. I also think that if you're going to breastfeed, either put the milk in a bottle or go to the car or bathroom to do it. If I were at the store to get something to eat, I would be so disgusted I would leave if I saw that. Having sex is natural. Do people do that wherever they please just because they can't hold back on their urges? Urinating is natural. Do people just pee wherever is comfortable and easy?

December 30, 2011 at 3:40 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home