Blogs > Nascar: Beyond the Track

Find out what's really going on in NASCAR. Look here to find out why your driver really lost his ride, or the real reason those two drivers can't stand each other. Learn about the hidden motives and reasons for the things that happen in NASCAR, from the drivers to the team owners.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

R.I.P. Scott Kalitta

I have to take a moment to offer my condolences to the family, friends and fans of the latest member of the motorsports community to lose his life while doing his job.

Scott Kalitta, a veteran and two-time NHRA champion, died in a terrible, fiery wreck Saturday while driving his Funny Car during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, N.J. Series officials said Kalitta was extracted from his car and taken to Old Bridge Township Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Though I’ve never been much for drag racing, I’ve always respected what those drivers do. Going from 0 to 300 miles per hour in seconds is obviously a very dangerous profession.

The Kalitta family is huge in drag racing, and many people here in Michigan have some connection to them, as their Kalitta Motorsports drag racing operation has been based out of Michigan since Scott’s father -- Connie Kalitta, who grew up in Mount Clemens -- began it in 1959. Scott was originally from Mount Clemens, and was living with his wife and children in Florida.

While I never knew the man, or even followed his career, I mourn his death just like those who weren’t NASCAR fans mourned Dale Earnhardt, Adam Petty and others who have died in the line of duty.

Rest in peace, Scott.

2 Comments:

Blogger medic2286 said...

I wa not a huge fan of drag racing but this family has my deepest condolences for their loss. God gained anothet angel ne is now up their with Dale and Adam.

June 22, 2008 at 6:58 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott will be sorely missed.I have been a fan since his dad Connie raced 30 years ago. Scott was a stand-up guy as is all his family.My condolense goes to them, and my deepest respect goes to a man who died doing what he loved most. Racing.

June 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home